World News

Baby boy lost in Kabul evacuation is finally reunited with family

A baby boy separated from his parents during the US evacuation after Taliban had taken control of Afganistan has finally been reunited with his family. Sohail Ahmadi was just two-months old when he was passed over a fence to an American soldier at Kabul airport to protect him as crowds jostled to flee the country in the wake of the Taliban’s takeover.

After a frantic but futile search for the infant, his father Mirza Ali Ahmadi, who had worked as a security guard at the US embassy, mother Suraya and their four other children were put on an evacuation flight to the US. But after reading a Reuters report on the family’s search for Sohail, in November he was traced to the home of a 29-year-old taxi driver named Hamid Safi. Mr.Safi said he had found Sohail alone and crying on the ground at the airport, the news agency said. After trying to find the boy’s family, he decided to take him home to his wife and children, and raise him as his own son. They named the infant Mohammad Abed.

When Sohail’s whereabouts were confirmed, the baby’s grandfather, Mohammad Qasem Razawi, who lives in the north-eastern province of Badakhshan, made a long journey to Kabul to ask for the child to be returned. However, Mr Safi refused to hand the baby over and demanded he and his family also be evacuated to the US, according to Reuters.

After seven weeks of negotiations – and a brief detainment of Mr Safi – Taliban police arranged a settlement between the two families and the baby was returned to his grandfather on Saturday, Reuters reported. His parents said they were overjoyed after watching the reunion via video chat. “There are celebrations, dance, singing,” Mr Razawi said. “It is just like a wedding indeed.” They hope arrangements will soon be made for Sohail to be brought to them in the US state of Michigan, where they have now settled.

Source: bbcnews.com

Japanese consumers to get limited portions of McDonald’s french fries for another month

The announcement from McDonald’s follows a previous week-long restriction at the end of December. McDonald’s Holdings Company Japan said in a statement that from Sunday it would sell only S-sized fries for about a month “to make sure we have plenty of inventory and our customers can enjoy McDonald’s fries without interruption”. It had to take similar measures back in 2014, thanks to delays at US ports.

Japanese customers of McDonald’s will have to make do with small portions of fries for another month after further supply chain problems. The latest problems are blamed on the impact of flood damage on the port of Vancouver, a transit point for imported potatoes, and other disruptions since last year – and McDonald’s has warned that disruption in the distribution network is continuing.

Britain’s branch of McDonald’s has also experienced problems, which prompted it last summer to pull milkshake and bottled drinks from its menus.

Source : news.sky.com

Taking photos of breastfeeding mothers to be made illegal in England and Wales

Taking a photograph of a mother breastfeeding their child without their consent is to be made a crime in England and Wales.

As per reports, Julia Cooper was breastfeeding her baby in a park when a man on another bench got out his camera, attached a zoom lens and took a picture. She was “shocked and devastated” to find the police could do nothing about it because no crime had been committed at the time. Manchester-based designer Julia Cooper began the campaign to make taking pictures of breastfeeding mothers illegal after her own experience in a local park last April 2021.

Justice Secretary Dominic Raab said the move would stop women being “pestered, whether it’s for self-gratification or for harassment purposes”. Campaigners welcomed the decision, calling it “a victory for breastfeeding mothers”. The law will form part of the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill going through Parliament. Mr.Raab also confirmed another amendment to the bill to give victims of domestic abuse more time to report crimes to police, and “plug gaps” in the law that risks offenders escaping justice. Ms Cooper said she was “delighted” by the move, despite what she described as “too-ing and fro-ing from government” on the issue. “It is a victory for breastfeeding mothers and it will provide the reassurance that we can breastfeed in public without strangers freely photographing and filming us as they wish.

It will make a new offence of “recording images of, or otherwise observing, breastfeeding without consent or a reasonable belief as to consent” and to be found guilty, the perpetrator “must be acting for the purpose of obtaining sexual gratification or of humiliating, alarming or distressing the victim”. The other amendment being made to the same bill focuses on extending the six-month time limit victims of common assault face in England and Wales when it comes to reporting the crime.

Source : bbc.com

Cities are reportedly canceling their New Year’s Eve events

For a while we were assuming we can celebrate New Year’s Eve without any restrictions. But another rapid spread of the new the new Omicron variant of the coronavirus have dashed our hopes — at least in some parts of the world. people stepping out of their homes should avoid large New Year’s Eve gatherings and stick with small gatherings of vaccinated family or close friends.

As per reports, the New Year’s Eve celebration in Times Square will be “scaled back,” with everyone required to wear a mask. But some major cities in Europe, where the spread of Omicron has been startling, have already announced they’re flat-out cancelling plans.

Other cities around the world with traditionally iconic celebrations still plan to host their events but with safety precautions in place.

ATHENS

No fireworks show over the Acropolis this year. Health Minister Thanos Plevris said during a news briefing on Thursday, December 23, that all public Christmas and New Year celebrations planned by municipalities are cancelled.

ATLANTA
Georgia’s capital city is cancelling the New Year’s Eve Peach Drop at Underground Atlanta because of the rising number of Covid-19 cases, according to a tweet from Underground Atlanta.

BERLIN

Germany is imposing strict contact restrictions to curb the spread of Covid starting on December 28 and prohibiting New Year’s Eve gatherings, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz announced on Tuesday, December 21.

EDINBURGH

Public New Year’s Eve celebrations in Scotland will be cancelled, Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said on Tuesday, December 21.

LONDON

A planned New Year’s Eve event in London has been cancelled over Covid concerns, Mayor of London Sadiq Khan tweeted on Monday, December 20.

NEW DELHI

The government of India’s union territory of Delhi, which encompasses the national capital of New Delhi, has announced a ban on all social, cultural, political and festival gatherings until further notice because of a rise in Covid-19 cases, CNN’s New Delhi Bureau reports.

PARIS

Paris has cancelled its traditional fireworks display over the Champs-Elysées Avenue to welcome the New Year because of the renewed coronavirus surge.

ROME

In Italy, Rome is among several cities that have decided to cancel festivities over Covid health concerns.

Even though it’s not the same as watching fireworks and big shows in person, but you can catch all the action from the comfort — and safety — of a crowd-controlled home. Stay Safe!

Feel Free to share your views in the comments section.

Source CNN Travel